:: Home arrow Travel & Accommodations arrow Photos
 
Home
About the Conference
Scientific Program
Congress Information
Young Scientist Forum
Registration
Committee
About Salvador, Bahia
Contact
Mailing List
Technical Exhibits
Sponsor
Map
Travel & Accommodations
Visa Information

 
Photos
Varias
    
 Baia de Todos os Santos
Solar Unhão


Terreiro de Jesus

Photos by Salvador Convention Center

 
Forte Sao Marcelo
 
Forte São Marcelo - Salvador, BA, Brazil
São Marcelo Fort – initially called Santa Maria del Popolo Fort, this military construction is also known as the Fort of the Sea. Its function was to stop the corsairs‘ attack to ships anchored in the port and the
approach of armadas with in shot reach to the limits of the city. Built on a sandbank, it was initiated in 1650 by engineer Felipe Guiton in a roun design, with a great central tower surrounded by long and narrow openings of smaller height (where the cannons were positioned). As the shots bounced off the tower, hittins gunners by the back, a higher external ring-like wall, with rooms inside was built in 1812. Standing out in the scenery of the Lower City for its location in the middle of the sea, and for the singularity in its shape, it was refferred to as “Bahia's Bellybutton” by writer Jorge Amado.
Photo: Cynthia Sayuri Bando
 
Elevador Lacerda
  
Elevador Lacerda, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Lacerda Elevator - Salvador‘ s main visual mark, the elevator had its first
tower built in 1873 and started to function with two cabins for passenger
transportation, which worked with a hydraulic system. At first, it was called
Elevador da Conceição, since it was located near Igreja de Nossa Senhora da
Conceição da Praia, but, in 1930, it got the name of its constructor,
engineer Antônio de Lacerda, and it was completely remodeled and
amplified, in a project that was very daring for the time. Currently with four
electric lifts, Elevador Lacerda i the main access to the lower and Higher
cities, and from its high part, it is possible to have a panoramic view of the
city.
Photo: Cynthia Sayuri Bando
 
Pelourinho
  
Pelourinho, Salvador, BA
Pelourinho is an area that comprises some of Salvador's oldest neighborhoods and shows the city's expansion during the 17th and 18th centuries. Inventoried by IPHAN – National Artistic and Historical Heritage Institute and considered Humanity's Heritage by UNESCO, it is full of old houses that belonged to government authorities, rich sugar cane plantation owners, and wealthy businessmen. Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Pretos church reaffirms the devotion started by Dominican priests on the African Coast, and composes the scenery at Largo do Pelourinho (Pelourinho Square), which takes the visitor back to a time of riches and ostentation. Some buildings in Pelourinho, such as Solar do Ferrão, hold some of the most important museums in the city, like Museu Abelardo Rodrigues, Fundação Casa de Jorge Amado, Museu da Cidade, Museu das Portas do Carmo, and Museu Tempostal.
Photo: Cynthia Sayuri Bando
 
© 2019 IUBMB2007